Saturday, January 12, 2008

Definitions, plans, etc.

I thought it would be difficult to come up with a satisfactory definition of the term ‘chick flick’ as I intend to use it, but Wikipedia has pretty well nailed it. Thus:

“The term chick flick is slang, often derisive, for a movie which is designed or considered to appeal mainly to women, and generally focusing more on romance or relationships. Many romantic comedies or films with many female characters are likely to be put into this category. Critics of the term have pointed out that movies aimed specifically at men are not labeled so derisively.”

I should add that I’m not overly concerned with the contemptuous overtones cited above. I suppose you can think of it as a reclamation of the term – like the more progressive uses of the word ‘queer’, or Eve Ensler’s suggestion that women re-take the word ‘cunt’.

(Sidebar: I really, really hate that word and have zero interest in taking it back. There are plenty of fairly offensive terms that relate to women, but this one is the only one that I associate so clearly with violence. If rape was a word instead of an act, it would be cunt. Ugh.)

I should also warn anyone reading this that I will occasionally slide into a consideration of comedies that are nobody’s idea of a chick flick – American Pie and Anchorman spring to mind – and I apologize in advance for these lapses.

As far as content is concerned, I’ll basically be putting down my thoughts on various chick flicks, loved or hated, in roughly thematic groupings. Sometimes this will be by film contents and sometimes by actors, directors, or writers. I’ll follow my musings with recommendations and ratings – basically, is this a movie you should be watching with a boy, with a group of girls, or with a half liter of Ben and Jerry’s and a spoon?

I’ll try to keep it interesting and of course to avoid spoilers. (Does he get the girl in the end? Does he??)

There are so many of these movies out there, and I hope if anyone’s reading this I can help to steer you to the right ones.

No comments: